Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Tis the Season

Advent is upon us-the season of the great love affair. You know the one I’m talking about. It was heralded on the Friday after Thanksgiving! Its arrival came on a sleigh.

Santa arrived and children will fall in love with him. Every year more will love him. Why not? He is this incredible supernatural being who does wonderful things for them. They will love him because he gives them presents, and no ordinary presents, no shirts and skirts. He will bring them toys.

This advent season I’m seeking to be delivered from all of this. Not from a belief in Santa. That was lost in my preteen years. No, I am hoping to be delivered from the snare of loving God as if he were a Santa Claus. I am striving to avoid the trap of loving God because He gives God presents.

I am trying hard each day to remember that He was worthy of my love before the Forgiver came. He always has been worthy of my love, your love, the world’s love, not because He gives us gracious gifts, not because He chooses to focus His love on us. NO, He is worthy of our love.

As you lead this Advent season, this season of Love, may your love for the Worthy One adorn every celebration.

No comments: