Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What could be better than fishing?

Some of you know that I like to fish (that is an understatement) I love to fish! But I’ve been discovering something about fishing that makes the experience even better. I like fishing even more when I get to take someone else fishing and show them some of the things I know about fishing. Things like:

• How to catch a bass on a weed-less Texas rigged rubber worm.
• How to catch blue gills on small jigs.
• How to catch their first trout on a fly rod.

I realized this morning when the man I was fishing with nailed his first bass out of the weeds just how much fun I was having just sharing the knowledge. I realized that as much as I like to fish, I liked mentoring others to catch fish.

Imagine if every leader made a discovery that all the things that they loved to do were even more enjoyable when we were teaching someone else how to do them. Mentoring, it’s one of the joys of leadership. Have you discovered it?

No comments: