Friday, June 15, 2007

Waiting on the Blossom

For Mother’s Day my son and I planted a new flowerbed—a heart shaped gift of love to the love of my life. We transplanted a number of perennials from other spots on our property. I added a few roses and flox from the nursery. I also added an unknown plant, a tall spindly plant I was sure I had seen in bloom behind my garage. Water, fertilizer and mulch finished the effort.

Over the coming weeks the new bed thrived. Roses bloomed, irises unfolded, black-eyed susans took hold. I added annuals—marigolds and petunias. All the while the tall spindly thing grew and spread.

My wife began to ask me if the tall spindly thing was just a weed. To both of us it looked pretty terrible.

“I think it will bloom. Let’s give it more time.”

I have to confess I was having my doubts. It sure did look like a weed. And if it was a weed it was dominating the center of the flower bed. It’s presence was hard to ignore. But I waited on it.

Eventually I saw buds coming. It was about the time my wife began suggesting we pull it out.

“It’s got buds. It’s going to bloom. Let’s wait.”

Then one day, the hint of color peeked out. Was that blue I saw tipping the buds? A few days later deep blue blossoms were opening on every spindly stalk, beautiful flowers unfolding in praise to the Creator. No more discussion about the weed. No more talk of pulling it out, instead a growing appreciation for its beauty now marked our discussions of the flower bed.

Leaders have to learn this truth. Some things, some people, some programs, some strategies, some changes take a long time in developing. Long before their beauty emerges we may have to endure the awkwardness of their development. Early on in the mentoring of others, early on in the implementation of new programs or strategies, early on in an emerging leader we may see more weed than flower. While every program or strategy may not succeed, while every change may not work, while every potential leader may not develop, good leaders are slow to give up, longsuffering in patience. Good leaders give time for the blossoms to appear.

No comments: