Tuesday, June 2, 2009

David's Mighty Men


I've been reading in 1 Chronicles and spent some time pondering some of David's mighty men.
**Jashobeam, commander of the Three, once killed 300 men with his spear in one battle.
**Eleazar fought back to back with David when surrounded by the Philistines and beat them back.
**Shammah, one of the Three, took his stand in the middle of the field. He defended it and struck the surrounding Philistines, and the LORD brought about a great victory.
**Abishai foremost of the Three, killed 300 in a single battle.

The mighty men were being remembered not for their weaknesses but for their strengths.

Reggie McNeal states that we have inadvertently developed a culture where we are much more aware of our weaknesses than our strengths. That's certainly often true in my life. I can list out everything that I struggle with, where I fall short and what I'd like to change. I beat myself up over failures and setbacks.

But the mighty men, they were remembered for their strengths.

I have heard that the fastest and most prominent way to strengthen an organization is to strengthen the weakest element. If team building is weak, strengthen it. If moral is low, raise it. If image is poor, change it. If it's broke, fix it.

But the mighty men, they were remembered for their strengths.

Leaders need to remember this truth. We will always need to address weaknesses, but it is strengths that are celebrated. It is in the area of our strengths that our greatest impact happens.

Mighty men (and women) are remembered for their strengths. Go ahead lead with yours.

No comments: