Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Transplanting

I had to do some last week as I put in a new flowerbed. I had to take some irises from the side of my garage and move them to the front.

Day lilies behind the garage were thinned so that some could be planted out front. Black-eyed susan’s were divided. Mini-irises were uprooted and replanted.

Transplanting is risky! The act of digging them up and splitting them stresses both the mother plant and the transplants. Both show the stress for awhile. But most often with a little watering, and fertilizing, both thrive.

Leaders understand this. Our talents are often established in one place, one role and one objective. Often we have become comfortable in that role. We’re thriving in the sunshine of knowing we’re making a difference. Fulfilling a purpose. Multiplying where we are.

Suddenly a new objective, an avenue of ministry, a new program, or another need emerges. Is it possible to transplant some energy, some talent, some time to this new possibility?

Some would say, “ NO!”
Some would say, “I can’t.”
Some would say, “I’m totally needed in this endeavor.”
Some would say, “I’m too busy to do anything else.”

Real leaders know that it is possible to transplant some energy, some resources to those new objectives. And with care both will thrive.

No comments: