Wednesday, October 31, 2007

How's your schedule?

I was on my way to the window on Monday morning. I found myself very irritated with a trap I had fallen into. I was looking at a week ahead with every evening booked. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The week loomed heavy. Nothing could be done to change the schedule. Nothing could be postponed or moved. Weeks like that irritate me.

Help came in two unique places. In the car my wife encouraged me to create more time off the following week. A suggestion I quickly dismissed. The second was a quote from Charles Swindoll. “When it comes to irritations, I’ve found it helps if I remember that I am not in charge of my day…God is.” Those two things led to two heart changes in me.

First, I surrendered my emotions about the week ahead. I would look for God in the irritations of my schedule. Second, I began to look at the following week and found holes. Things could be adjusted and moved, and time for renewal could be found.

Leaders constantly wrestle with their schedules. That morning I was being reminded that when things couldn’t be changed, surrendering it to God brings relief. But I was also reminded things are seldom as dismal, busy, and overwhelming as I think. I had quickly dismissed my wife’s suggestion of rescheduling my obligation the following week. With a little creative planning I was able to open up another day for rest, renewal, and recreation.

How’s your schedule?

No comments: