Tuesday, October 16, 2007

TOP DRESSING

A while ago I had a tree come down in my yard. Yesterday I laid twelve bags of mulch completing the new landscaping. The new bed looks great. It has a three-inch layer of deep brown mulch.

I was very satisfied as I viewed the result. Anyone passing by would notice how well it looks. But the mulch is just a top dressing. It is everything else I did that will truly make the bed a great piece of landscaping.

overgrown ground cover was killed off
the tree stump was ground out
the ground was tilled
weed inhibitor was applied
6 day lilies, 7 bearded irises, 6 mini-irises, 2 azaleas, one mum, one black- eyed susan, one decorated grass, 18 crocus bulbs, 18 tulips, 18 daffodils had all been planted.

Right now the top dressing looks good, but the real work of creating a flower bed had already been done.

As a leader have you settled for top dressing an outward appearance of having it together? Are you doing the hard work that truly develops leadership in you?

Are you planting…
Are you tilling…
Are you fertilizing…
Are you weeding…

…in your life that you might be the leader that more than looks good on the surface?

No comments: