Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Watermelon Dilemma

How good is seedless watermelon? I admit that I’ve had a few that were pretty tasty. I’ve never done a side by side comparison, but seedless melons get at least a B+ in my book.

But seedless melons have led to an unusual consequence for me. Whenever I approach a platter of watermelon at a social setting, a BBQ or a picnic, I look for the seedless melon. Even if the variety being served is not seedless, I look for the pieces with the fewest seeds. There are always a few. Usually cut from the “heel” or the “”bowl” end of the melon. While those pieces have fewer seeds, they are often less flavorful—often a little “rhinny” in taste. The best pieces in a standard melon are cut from the middle, teeming with rows of imbedded black seeds. But the advent of seedless melons has taught me I can avoid seeds and still have watermelon.

What an allegory for our lives. We want the sweetest things that life offers, and we want them seedless, no obstacles, no work required. If something we desire seems like it will take too much work or effort, we look for a way around the seeds.
C. S. Lewis said, “We are too easily pleased.”

Perhaps we lose in our quest for a seedless watermelon life?
James said, “Consider it a sheer gift, friends when you encounter challenges, obstacles and watermelon seeds (my paraphrase).

Pass the watermelon.

No comments: