Friday, September 21, 2007

Slap, Drift, Jerk

On a recent fishing trip in Alaska I was reminded of an important leadership principle. I call it the lesson of the “slap, drift, jerk.” People follow who they trust. Trust is based on the experience and the character of the leader involved. Therefore, people follow the leader with proven character.

Having never before fished for Sockeye Salmon, I found myself faced with a dilemma. I observed that people were fishing for Sockeyes with what appeared to be a “slap, drift and jerk” technique that to me defied every fishing practice and skill I had ever learned.

Slap about 12’ of line out into the current with a 1oz. weight and a bead and a hook rigged to it. Let the weight ‘drift’ down stream as it swings on your line. At the bottom of the swing ‘jerk’ the tackle up and slap it down again.

Slap, Drift, Jerk
Slap, Drift, Jerk
Slap, Drift, Jerk

The friend I was with is an experienced fisherman, but I’m no slouch. BUT he was an experienced Alaskan fisherman and guide. So my choice was this. Do it my way, experiment with trial and error, or trust the “Alaskan fisherman.”

Leaders should always remember others will follow and trust our leadership because we have developed a measure of proven character. The more proven our character, the greater the perseverance of our followers.

When we started our first morning of ‘Slap, Drift, Jerk” fishing the salmon were elusive. But I trusted in the proven character of my guide, my friend, so I kept up the ‘Slap, Drift, Jerk’ and waited for the results.

We limited out.

Do you want others to trust your leadership? Let your character be proven.

No comments: