Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Without Limit (or Maybe Not)

I was having one of those duh moments in my study and reflection time. It occurred as I was thinking about one of those passages in scripture that those of us in ministry or in church have read, heard, studied or even preached. The living Word was again proving it was sharp and about to pierce right through to the very marrow of who I was.


Let me share the passage with you.
   Matthew 25:15  To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, . . .

There it is. Huge! I know in the past I've read it, studied it, preached it. I can name the teaching points.

· He gave to each one.
· He gave according to their ability
· He gave expecting a return
· He gave and it's our choice how we use them.
· He gave and he will give more to those who are faithful.
(feel free to add your own key points)

But none of these points were what God was speaking to me about on this particular morning. The truth cutting to the marrow of my being was this.

· He gave to each one with limits.


That's right, he gave with limits. We are called to minister, to lead, to work within those limits. Sometimes we live, minister, lead, and work as if there were no limits, no boundaries, no confines. But he gave with limits. Three talents are smaller than five. One talent is smaller than three. Limits.

As leaders it is easy to fall into the trap of being over-committed, over-extended, and operating with little margin in our lives (a trap this leader has sometimes failed to avoid). But if God gave with limits, when we find ourselves consistently operating in that over-extended pace, it's time to admit we've lost sight of His limits, His agenda, His calling.

I've been in one of those evaluation periods, seeking to ensure that I'm operating within His limits. Is it time for you to take a similar look?

No comments: