Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What's on the Scroll?

I was reading in Psalms this morning, Psalm 40 to be specific, and I was hit with another one of those leadership moments. I was struck by the wording of verses 7-10.

7 Then I said, "Here I am, I have come-
it is written about me in the scroll.
8 I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart."
9 I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly;
I do not seal my lips,
as you know, O LORD.
10 I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and salvation.
I do not conceal your love and your truth
from the great assembly.

What a powerful thought. David understood that on a scroll before God things about him were already written. A godly leader is always aware that a record is being kept of not just deeds and accomplishments, but a scroll detailing character and habits is perpetually being written before God. As I sit in the window at the coffeehouse I ponder, "What was written on the scroll about me?"

David knew the character of his heart and life were reflected there.

· I desire to do your will.
· Your law is within me.
· I stand for righteousness.
· I speak of your unfailing love and faithfulness.

What would be written about me on the scroll? What would be written about you?

Every leader who follows the Forgiver should remember this truth. There is writing on the Scroll.

The Man in the Window

No comments: