Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sharp Edges


I love my landscaping and flower beds. I love how they look when they are neatly mulched, weeded and trimmed. But I have learned unless I maintain the edging on my beds they begin to look sloppy and loose their appeal. So on a semi-regular basis I have to focus on the edging. Whether it's a hand edger, spade, or edging attachment on a Mantis, edging takes work. It takes time and is tedious. Long before I'm finished with it, I'm tired of it. But when the work is done, the beds look so much better.


It hit me the other day how much my life was like a landscape bed. Sometimes when it is neatly trimmed, and well weeded, the fruit of the Spirit is very evident. But more often than I'd like to admit, the evidence of weeds, those fleshly fruit, have emerged. I'm testy here, a little lazy there, less than gentle, self control wavers. What I've discovered is that during those times, the edges of my life need tending. The lines that define who I am as a follower, as a leader become ragged. There is a real need to focus on the edging.

So I get back to the hard work of fasting, prayer, devotion. It feels tedious. Long before I'm finished I'm tempted to quit, but when the work is done, when the investment is made, the shape of my life looks so much better. How are the edges of your life as a leader? Are the lines that define you sharp and clean, or have they been neglected for awhile? Is it time for you dig in and focus on the basic things that define us as followers? If you are like me, from time to time it's a necessary discipline in keeping the edges clean.

No comments: