Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lost your edge?


It was my wife’s birthday and she wanted me to create a special dinner centering on a salad. So after a trip the store, I decided on a Surf & Turf salad with a champagne vinaigrette dressing.

As I was searing a NY strip in Cajun spices, I went to slice some tomatoes for the salad. My 5-inch chef’s knife was dull.

I was faced with a number of choices
 skip the tomato
 let someone slice them
 saw away at them
 mash them up

OR
I could get out my steel and put a new edge on my knife.

Sometimes every leader gets a little dull. He is faced in that moment with a number of choices.

 ignore the issue
 let someone else do it
 accept poor performance
 pretend it doesn’t matter
 make excuses

OR
Do what is necessary to sharpen the skill once again. Read a book, evaluate with others, refocus, refresh.

Lost your edge?

Leaders know when it’s time to hone their skills.

No comments: