Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dead Leaves

Saw a leadership principle at work yesterday. My wife had a free day and desired to do some outside work, so she spent the morning raking dead leaves out of the flowerbed.

Our front beds are filled with crocuses, irises, daylilies, daffodils, tulips and many other spring perennials. They will come up and bloom with little work. They are established plants; every year dependable.

But lying all around them are the few scattered remnants of the fall foliage. Dead leaves now brown and withered and looking pathetic. Clearing them away, the colors of the new plants just pop.

Sometimes as a leader we need to clear away some of the “dead leaves” around us. Sometimes before the beauty of new growth, a new initiative, a new strategy can be discovered and truly appreciated. Some of the old dying or dead things need to be cleaned away.

Have you looked around the flower beds over which you have care? Is it time to break out a rake?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Window guy,
I've driven by and often wonder wha your favorite coffee is? I would assume your location brings on many good conversations

MikeW said...

Hey, I just tried to leave a comment and it apparently didn't post. I really appreciate your your thoughts and insights on leadership. As I read, I am just curious about you personally. In your life, what would you say are the gardens that you are tending? What are the dry leaves in your life that affect your own leadership? I am curious about your thoughts.