Friday, April 11, 2008

Choose Well

This is my first rambling back in the window since I’ve taken my father back to N.Y. I began that day noting a sense of gratefulness that my schedule would finally return to normal. Then I realized by normal, I meant in my control.

No more quick trips back to the house to get him up in the morning. No more times washing his feet, applying cream, fixing breakfast or rushing to fix lunch. And I am grateful for that.

But, I am also sorry that he isn’t here, that we won’t get those afternoon drives, and those dinners together.

I buried a man’s wife yesterday; a woman nearly the age of my parents. I knew her boys. I saw their tears, the pain in their hearts. Her death came quickly. The onset of pneumonia, kidney failure, heart arrhythmia, and suddenly she was gone.

Both events, taking my dad home and the funeral remind me of important lessons.

Leaders know days and time are precious. Events can change quickly. Opportunities are missed. We must choose well. I chose to have my dad with us for 4 months. Reminded that life is uncertain and can end swiftly, I am confident I chose well.

The choice- Leaders do it well.

No comments: