Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fishermen have “Reel” Persistence

Matt 4:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

Lesson four is about being a “fisher of men.” Fishermen are persistent. “Reel” fishermen are always ready to fish and they will keep fishing when others have quit.

I’ve gone fishing on a Friday night and suffered through a poor bite. The water color was off, the temperature too high. For whatever the reason, the fishing was poor, but ask me if I want to go back out on Saturday morning and the answer is yes. “Reel” fishermen know that the bite that was off on Friday night may be hot on Saturday morning. So back they head.

“Reel” fishermen are persistent because they will keep trying to catch fish even when the bite is off. I’ve changed lures and techniques numerous times on the bank of a river, the back of the boat, the side of the stream. “Reel” fishermen know that even when the bite is off some fish will bite if they can just present the right lure in the right way. So they keep trying until they catch fish.

Imagine if we were as persistent as fishers of men. Imagine if the night after a seemingly futile witness attempt we headed right back out to the stream. Imagine remaining so persistent in our effort to reach our neighbors that we tried approach after approach, conversation after conversation, invitation followed by invitations until they responded.

“Reel” Fishermen have persistence, shouldn’t we?

Matt 4:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

No comments: