Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Lessons From the Woods 1 - Cold Feet


Sat in the woods a lot last week, enduring the cold waiting for a chance to take a deer. I know some people may be opposed to the idea of hunting, but the days in the woods reinforced some basic things that leaders know.

Leaders know preparation is critical.

Tuesday morning was bitter cold -- 25○ with wind chills dropping into the teens. I donned liner pants, heavy jeans, three shirts, a sweatshirt, a fleece vest and my thermal coveralls. Add a warm fleece hat, a turtle fur neck warmer and a heavy duty pair of hunting mitts, and I thought I was ready for anything.

I left the house at 6:00 am, left the car at 6:15, and was set up in the woods on my camp chair by 6:30 am. Legal shooting time started at 7:07 am.

My feet were cold by 7:00 am. My winter boots were failing me. By 7:20 my feet were feeling stiff. By 8:00 am they hurt. By 8:30 I was walking out of the woods, defeated by the lack of the right boots.

I knew my boots were suspect. My feet had been cold on Monday, but I had hunted eight hours.

Tuesday, however, was a different day, different circumstances. I was unprepared for the cold. Failed due to a lack of preparation.

It’s a simple thing--preparing for the circumstances we are going to face. So simple. So easy to take for granted.

This leader was reminded again of what all leaders must learn.

Preparation is critical.

Leaders lead. How’s your preparation been?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was just reading your blog. What I want know is, did you get your deer?

Anonymous said...

Yes, the account is coming in another blog.