Friday, August 15, 2008

40 Hour Call

The last few weeks have been filled with what I usually call the madness of the Fall season. The New Year’s still 4 months away, but for many of us the Fall always feels like the new year.

• The kids go back to school.
• The vacation season is over.
• The church gears up for a new season of ministry.
• New programs are introduced.
• New series are begun.

Like every leader in a church, I always feel the weight and excitement of the “New Year” unfolding in front of us. I find The Call compelling me to retool, refit so the season turns from summer to autumn.

I’ve learned something in these times, a hard truth, one that could seed frustration. The Call – The purpose of our lives doesn’t fit a 40-hour work week. Every August ends the same way, many meetings, many hours of administration and much planning on top of what is normally required.

I’m in my 3rd week of the joke of a 40, 45, or even 55 hour work week and it’s not over yet! I still battle my emotions during this season. I get tired, the load seems great. Patience is thin. It becomes too easy to feel robbed of time off.

But I’ve learned that my frustration is heightened because I’ve been lulled into thinking The Call – the purpose of our lives fits into a 40-hour week.
Leaders – real leaders, those ones who rise and get it done. They know a deep truth.

The Call – The purpose of our lives was never intended to fit into a 40-hour week. Or a Sunday morning, a Sunday evening youth meeting, a Wednesday night study or 2 hours of children’s ministry.

The Call – The purpose of our lives is who we are and what we are.
Sometimes it fits neatly into clearly defined schedules and time limits. Other times it asks for more. And leaders get it done.

Why?

“For the Sake of the Call!”

For every leader who in this season is getting things done. May you know the smile of the Author of the Call.

No comments: