Monday, March 3, 2008

The Big Fifty

Hit the Big number this week. Didn’t feel any different, but faced a melancholy mood most of the day. Why? Because now in my childhood eye that once looked forward, I am old. That’s right! By my own declaration I am an old man! That’s how life looked as a kid; thirty was middle age, fifty was old, and next was dead.

I don’t feel real old. But I know time is leaving its mark. My knees make more noise in the morning than rice krispies. My arm is just barely long enough to read a menu. The hair that disloyally abandoned my head sprouts in areas hair just shouldn’t turn up. The excitement of the five letter word “candy” has been replaced with a fondness for a new five letter word “fiber.” The “night out” has developed a fondness for “cat naps.” My wife and I get a night away and sometimes the most exciting thing that happens is sleeping in.

I cannot deny it. I am not the man I was twenty years ago, ten years ago. The mirror doesn’t lie. And, I am glad for it.

It is a wiser man that pens these words than the man twenty years ago; a man who has had zeal tempered with experience. It has produced a steeled vision and passion for my calling.

A less shallow man has discovered deep rivers of intimacy with God, my wife, my son, my daughter. True friendships have been forged over these years; men who have sharpened my iron.

A more committed man turned fifty this week; more committed to pursue the Savior. To complete the task He calls me to; to run, to finish stronger than the man of twenty years ago.

This leader has discovered there is a lot that’s old about being fifty. But good leaders embrace growth that aging brings to our character.

Hey, I’m 50! I’m not the man I was!
Thank God!

No comments: